Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I'm suddenly having flashbacks of the Vitamin C Graduation song "as we go on, we remember....all the times we, had together..."

Here's the thing. I graduated in December. Its been like 8 months since I donned the cap and gown and did the diploma thing but only know is it starting to sink in, my time in Florida is ending. I leave for Boston in 9 days. My apartment is in complete disarray, I'm living out a suitcase and I'm having a moving sale this weekend to get rid of furniture and excess *crap* for a lack of a better word, that won't be making the move.

I just can't believe its here.

There were so many times when I swore up and down I would never ever like Florida. I cursed myself and my family for making this decision, shot dirty looks at the red necks and country bumpkins and vowed I'd be back north before I knew it. Now, as the calendar days are counting down and the one marked with a big red circle is fastly approaching, I find myself incredibly sad and nostalgic about everything.

Florida and Florida State University have provided me with some of the best memories I've ever had. Regardless of the nastiness of Tennessee St and the complete and utter lack of shopping found in Governors Sq Mall, my life has been profoundly touched by the countless hours spent at Bullwinkle's, Po Boys, Waldemar and on campus. I've met the love of my life here, realized my dream of teaching here and so much more. There is a cliched saying, "I didn't go to college to find my husband, I came to find my bridesmaids". And that I did (okay now the tears are going to start, so just stop reading now if you could care less about the emotional aspects of my life).

My whole life I was an only child. Since being in Florida, I gained sisters. Beyond the greek letters and the stereotypical sorority labels, I found true blue (light and dark blue!)life-long, can't live without them, sisters. You know how I know they are true sisters to me? They love and accept me regardless. Through all the opinionated rants, gossip fueled, late night phone calls, tyrannical nagging, clothes stealing, bitchy, eye rolling times (all on my behalf- whooops), these girls have been there.

In 9 days, I will be making the 22 hour drive from Tallahassee, FL to Boston, MA and its going to be a dousy. As I cross over the Mason-Dixon line, I will be quietly ending one chapter of my life and begin writing the next. However, I know, without a doubt, like any real writer...I will be sure to go back every once and a while and relive all that I wrote...

No comments: